For the first time in the historical documents, Brovary was mentioned in 1628 as one of settlements of the Ostersky land, belonging to the magnate Vyshnevetskyy. (A. Bulvinsky. Chronicle of Written Records about the Town of Brovary of the 17th Century –«Nove Zhyttya», September 26, 2001).
Two main groups: peasants, subordinated to the Kyiv-Pechersk Lavra, and Cossacks that lived there constantly struggled with each other for priority, for land, for the right to trade, etc. The main areas of their activity were agriculture, crafts and trade.
With the beginning of the liberation war of the Ukrainian people from the Polish expansion in 1648 – 1654 (Cossack-Polish War), the Cossack Sotnia led by Fedir Vedmid was created in Brovary as a military formation but later it was mentioned as an administrative unit.
The most ancient worship place was the Church of the Holy Trinity, built by the Kyiv-Pechersk Lavra on its lands in Brovary near the present district of Rozvylka. Later a new building of this church was built on the territory of the present Taras Shevchenko park.
The Cossacks considered themselves to be higher social group than the Lavra one, who after the land secularization by Catherine II, became state peasants. To meet their religious needs and social ambitions the Brovary Cossacks built the St Peter and Paul Church in the XVII century. In 1814, this church burned down. It was rebuilt in 1823 in another place - on the territory of the present Secondary School № 1.
The location of Brovary near the trading road defined the specifics of the town largely as a market one. From the 18th century the Friday Market operated at the place of the present Rozvylka, and three times a year fairs were held for selling food, livestock, handicrafts, and later, industrial consumer goods. Ukraine was annexed to the Russian Empire in 1654. In 1666, according to the Census Books, there were 68 Cossacks` and 46 peasants' courts in Brovary.
According to official sources, in 1733 a School for teaching children literacy was already operating at the Brovary Trinity Church. Some of its graduates were educated at the Kyiv-Mohyla Academy.
According to a map from the holdings of the State Archives of the Kyiv Region, which was exhibited at the Brovary Museum of Local History in July 2017, as of 1770, a mail way to Glukhiv passed through Brovary. A post-horse-station operated there with two pavilions, each of which had 4 horses.
Gradually, a system of private courtyards for travelers was emerging in Brovary.
The construction of a highway to the left bank of the Dnipro river began under the leadership of Lieutenant Yakov Sokolikov, (the territory didn’t belong to Kyiv that time) in 1836.
Brovary was marked in its history by the name of Taras Shevchenko. For the first time, Taras of 15 years old, crossed the town with Mr.Engelhardt's serfs to Vilnius in 1829.
In 1843 - 1847, Kobzar often traveled through Brovary, stopping each time and changing horses at the post-horse-station. On April 7, 1847, the arrested poet was taken from Kyiv through Brovary to St. Petersburg, to the casemate. On May 18, 1861, Brovary residents rendered honour to Taras Shevchenko at the present-day Rozvylka, when his coffin was accompanied by students and intellectuals of Kyiv to the last journey to the Dnipro river.
After the abolition of serfdom, the lines of communication developed rapidly and industrial enterprises emerged. In 1968 the Kyiv station of the railway Kyiv-Kursk was built there.
At that time 70 artisans-craftsmen carried out their activities in Brovary: blacksmiths, shoemakers, carpenters, bonders, potters; there were three fairs per year.
Children from Brovary attended Parish Church School. Subsequently, the Zemsky elementary school, built in 1896, became a two-class village college.
In 1871, the entrepreneur Sumarokov built a rope factory in Brovary. In 1898 the tradesman Sperling opened a factory on production of soft drinks, and the tradesman Slobodin - a factory on production of sparkling water.
In 1906, the tradesman Samoilenko built the first steam mill, the daily flouroutput made up 700 pounds. In 1907, the tradesman Iyerusalymskyy built an iron foundry.
From 1912 to 1942 a motor tram ran from the left bank of the Dnipro River (Mykilska Slobidka) to Brovary. A telegraph office and an agricultural bank of mutual credit were founded in the town in 1916 where a fire association operated.
A pharmacy was opened in Brovary in 1901 and a dentist's office - in 1913.
The tumultuous revolutionary years brought anxiety and uncertainty. Power in the town often changed (1917-1921).
In January - February 1919, the line of attack of the Bolshevik troops - the Lokotosh Division and the Bozhenko and Shchors’s Regiments - passed through Brovary. They were opposed by units of the Ukrainian Public Republic, including the 1st Infantry Regiment of Sich Riflemen. On February 1, 1919, the Bolshevik troops conquered Brovary, and on February 5, - Kyiv.
Soviet power was established in Ukraine, including Brovary. The property of the Brovary businessmen was nationalized and transferred to the state ownership.
Brovary remained the volost centre. Its revolutionary committee, the village and town councils, the Committee of poor peasants, the volost executive committee, the Komsomol organization and so on operated there.
As of 1923, the city population made up 4065 people. The life in Brovary was stabilized promoting cultural and educational activities.
Qualified priest Dmytro Rusanovych, teacher due to the second formation, headed a shelter for «homeless» in Brovary, which brought together children whose parents had been killed during the war events of the 1920s.
The seven-year School named after Ivan Franko was opened in 1921 (now School №3).
The industrial construction was actively developed in the city in the 30s of the 20th century, the state stud farm was founded in 1930.
The airport, which construction began in 1933 in Brovary, operated since 1935 as the First Kyiv Airport. Passenger planes flew from Brovary to Moscow, Leningrad, Mineralni Vody, as well as to the Ukrainian cities.
However, the achievements in economic and industrial life did not save Brovary from the famishment in 1932–1933.
The People's Commissariat of Internal Affairs created a labour colony №5 in 1936, which was headed for over a year by a well-known teacher Anton Makarenko.
A powerful radio station was built in Brovary in the 30s of the last century, which provided Ukraine with radio broadcasting for eight decades. From April 17, 1937 and till nowadays, the district newspaper has been published – at first it was named «Stakhanovets» and now - «Nove zhyttya».
On June 25, 1941, German aircraft bombed the Kyiv airport in Brovary. The losses were huge.
On September 19, 1941, Brovary was occupied by the Nazis.
During the occupation, guerrilla groups, underground organizations of the Brovary Woodworking Plant and others operated in the area.
Brovary was liberated from the Nazis on September 25, 1943.
481 residents of Brovary perished on World War II fronts. During the years of occupation, the city suffered irreparable losses. In 1942, the Germans destroyed the motor tramways tracks, and they ceased to exist in the city. In retreat, the Germans almost completely burned Brovary - only 138 of 2174 houses survived.
In the post-war years, Brovary faced a new disaster - the famine in 1946 - 1947, though people did not die at that time, but suffered greatly from hunger.
Gradually, Brovary became a major industrial centre of the Kyiv region, a satellite city of Kyiv. Industrial enterprises from Kyiv were moved there, new ones were built. Local trade machine-building plant, woodworking plant, on the basis of which industrial refrigerators were manufactured, plant of electrical products, tire repair plant, plant of reinforced concrete items for decades produced goods. A new stage in the development of the city was the launch of large factories of all-Union importance - powder metallurgy and aluminum structures. Later, the Teplytstekhmontazh Trust became very efficient in its industry, many other companies operated at that time. Housing construction was undergoing rapid growth. A large residential and industrial district of Poroshynka emerged at the site of the former field, Torhmash district was growing and developing as well.
The cultural and educational life of the city intensified. The Krynytsa literary studio has operated on the basis of the district newspaper since 1955. Choir of bandura-players and the Krynytsa folk choir became well-known far beyond Brovary. Visitors are welcomed to the city, children's and district libraries. In 1981, Brovary created the Museum of Local Lore. As of 1980, there are 10 secondary schools, a vocational school, and a school of physical culture in Brovary. There are several swimming pools for children and adults in the city. A polyclinic was built in the industrial area that provides services to residents of the city of Brovary and the Brovary district. A children's hospital was built on the site of the Hospitalnamed after Feldman.
The Victory Park with a lake was created at the site of the former apple orchard where the youth cafe «Rovesnyk» was built later. City Day celebrations were subsequently launched and the first cooperation agreement was signed with the French city Fontenay-sous-Bois in 1986.
Brovary firefighters, drivers, doctors, rescuers participated in the elimination of the accident that occurred on April 26, 1986, at the Chernobyl Nuclear Power Plant. About 3,500 people, evacuated from the nuclear disaster zone, have become full citizens of our city.
Nowadays Brovary is a powerful industrial city. The Kyiv Factory of Building Aluminum Structures is a leading enterprise of the industry under the Brovary Factory of Aluminum Structures. Brovary Plastic Factory operates as a public joint-stock company that produces polyethylene pipes of various purposes. Talsi FC LLC produces high-tech aluminum products (windows, stained-glass windows, winter gardens, etc.). German-Ukrainian firm Brovarfarma, in collaboration with scientists, produces antimicrobials and products for the reproductive organs. Industrial-Investment Group Stolytsya LLC produces various types of modern elevators. In 2006, the Terminal shopping and entertainment centre started operating. There are entertainment establishments, such as aqua park, and numerous national events take place there. The polygraphic company «Mriyi zbuvayutsya» produces notebooks, albums and other similar products for students. Brovary shoe companies have become widely known in Ukraine and abroad. Small businesses are predominant in the city.
Brovary residents are proud of the hundreds of world-class athletes who have gone on to great sports level from Brovary.
Having an active European-oriented position and realizing principles of friendship, unity and fraternity, the city of Brovary provides a fruitful relationship with many countries in the world.
The city has 10 agreements on cooperation with communities of the near and far abroad: city of Rockford (Illinois, USA), city of Tacoma (Washington, USA), city of Fontenay-sous-Bois (French Republic), Slutsky district (Republic of Belarus), city of Sillamae (Republic of Estonia), Gnieznienski, Grodziski and Kraśnicki powiats (Republic of Poland), city of Tonala (Mexico), city of Santa-Marinella (Italian Republic), as well as a Memorandum on strengthening of exchange and cooperation with the city of Zhanjiang (Republic of China) and Protocol on strengthening of exchange and cooperation with the city of Zadar (Republic of Croatia). Within the framework of the signed agreements about a mutually beneficial collaboration in the spheres of economic, cultural and public life there are exchanges by delegations of specialists on the study of experience in the different spheres of municipal life, exchanges by delegations during the celebration of City Days and international events. City enterprises actively cooperate with foreign companies, as well as banks and international funds.